November is a time to give thanks. Many of my facebook friends do a daily list
of things they are thankful for, one for each day in November, until
Thanksgiving. I know myself, and know
that I would never remember to do this on a daily basis. This month, Thanksgiving is the 22nd. So, here are 22 things I am thankful for, in
no particular order:
1. My family. Last year at this time, my family was spread
across the world. This year, we’re all
in the Chicago area. I’m happy that we
are all safe, home, happy, and healthy.
This photo is really old... but it's family.
2. My friends. Friends are the family you choose. I have the best friends in the world, and
would not survive life without them.
Well, maybe I’d survive, but it’d be really freaking boring.
3. My health. Not everyone is so lucky to have their
health. Could Should I be
healthier? Yes. But for the most part, I’m doing good.
4. Thai food. I’m not kidding. Thai food is my newest obsession. I crave it regularly (no, I’m not knocked
up.)
5. My relationship. My relationship is seriously the tops. I am so lucky. It really doesn’t get much better than this.
honest to goodness... this is how weird we are.
6. Graham’s family. Graham’s family, immediate and extended, is
awesome. Everyone has welcomed me with
open arms.
7. My job
career. My job isn’t a job, it’s a
career, and I’m thankful for that in itself.
I’m thankful to have a flexible employer, who is compassionate and
understanding, and values family time (let’s not talk about how much time off I
get for the holidays. You’ll hate me and
stop reading my blog.)
8. My college degree. It took almost exactly 10 years, but I did
it!
The proof is in the pudding.
9. The Food
Network/Cooking Channel. Graham doesn’t
like to watch TV at my house because he can never hear it, and besides, it’s
always the food channel. Both of these
things are true. For someone who has bionic
hearing, he has trouble hearing TV below arena level volumes, and I don’t like
watching TV that loud. I am also always watching the food network or
cooking channel. I like watching people
cook. I like watching people visit
restaurants I’ve visited or want to visit.
10. Democratic
process. We just had the presidential
election. Whether your candidate won or
lost, you should be thankful for the simple fact that we have this process.
11. Sleep. I don’t get enough of it, but when I do, it
is just the best. I value
every.single.second I can manage.
12. Daylight Savings
Time. Now that it’s over, I realize, I
am thankful for it. I hate the fact that
when I leave work at 4:30, it’s already dark.
13. Lazy Sunday
Afternoons. Sitting in my comfy sweats
on a Sunday afternoon under a blanket sipping coffee is the definition of love
for me.
14. Pinterest. You know how many cute things and ideas I
find there? See for yourself: http://pinterest.com/valerierae84/
15. My mother. I can’t even dive into the thousands of
reasons I am thankful for my mother.
There will be a post at some point, I’m sure.
My momma.
16. No-chip manicures. 2 weeks without a chip? Hell yes.
17. Music. I can’t get through my days without it. I love a broad spectrum of music (I’m
listening to the West Side Story movie soundtrack right now.)
18. Vacation
time. Yeah, I know, I said I love my
career, but who doesn’t need a mental health day now and then?
19. Books. I like to read. I have a small collection of books which I am
slowly expanding upon. The books I read
in college that I liked I kept instead of selling back, and I’ve purchased a
lot of books I borrowed from the library (at the half price bookstore) so that
I can have copies for my kids one day (like Harry Potter.) I have also been making a list of the books I
don’t own but want to, so I can check half price books for them.
20. Good food. I know
people say “eat to live, don’t live to eat” and “nothing tastes as good as
skinny feels.” I don’t believe in either
of those statements. Well, eat to live
don’t live to eat, that’s a good one to live by most of the time, but that
doesn’t mean you can’t be eating good food in the process.
21. Luna. Our kitten,
who is almost a full fledged cat now.
She’s so much bigger than when we first got her. She likes to snuggle up next to me or by my
feet at night, and wake me up at 5am by sticking her butt or paws in my
face. I don’t even care, she’s such a
cutie. Except for when she climbs onto
the table or countertops.
baby.
22. Last, but
certainly not least, Graham. Yes, I said
“my relationship” earlier, which is, that I’m thankful that my relationship is
a good great one. Beyond that, I
am thankful for Graham, who is my friend, my love, my confidant, my rock, my
personal cheerer-upper, and a trillion things beyond that.
Really, who wouldn't love someone who can make you smile like this?








No comments:
Post a Comment