Monday night, I finished college. I wrote my last paper and turned it in. This morning, I applied for my diploma. In 4-6 weeks, I'll be displaying a diploma. It only took 10 years (almost exactly.)
I don't remember what the date was when I moved down to Illinois State in 2002, but it was August. I think it was a Friday? I think? I'd have to say it was probably the 16th. So, assuming it was, It took me 10 years and 4 days to finish college. Of course, I didn't Van Wilder this shiz... I was on and off. The point is, I'm finished. I'm a college graduate. It's official. Or will it be official once I have the diploma in hand?
At any rate, I was thinking last night, as I was sitting and NOT doing homework for the first time in a long time, about my college experience. My Illinois State college experience. Man, I wish the digital camera wasn't just coming into wide-spread use when I was in college. I have TONS of pictures of my junior year, some from my sophomore year... basically nothing from my freshman year. Who wanted to spend the money developing film when you could get a bottle of Boone's Farm for cheaper?
The building I lived in my freshman year has since been torn down. Walker Hall, the smallest, dingiest, residence hall on campus, was where I called home. My roommate was a small, skinny, peppy girl who became one of my best friends. We never got on each other's nerves, we ate meals together, we shared secrets together, we laughed together and cried together. We went through the trials of not having ethernet or air conditioning. We had to use the internet one at a time, and we survived. My favorite memories include eating almost the same meal every night for dinner, taking all day trips to Walmart (we had to take the bus) and keeping the most ridiculous things in our fridge, like cheese cubes and pepperoni slices.
You know, I don't think I ever returned to that building after I lived there.
My sophomore and junior year I lived in Watterson Towers, which was a departure from little Walker Hall, that's for certain. For one thing, it was at least three times the size, and housed 2200 students. Some kids who were living there, the building had more students than their town. The layout was weird. The elevator only stopped ever 5 floors. But, it was my home, and I loved it. I loved it more than Walker Hall (don't tell anybody.) I made even more best friends there. I worked at the front desk and was a resident assistant. I met my college boyfriend in Watterson Towers. I rarely ventured out, except for when I had to (class, the mall, you know.)
My junior year I joined Alpha Phi Omega, which was amazing all in itself. I met even more amazing people. I solidified some friendships as a result. I volunteered a lot around campus and the community. It was fun. I finally started going to parties. I gained the freshman 15, as a junior.
I went back recently, and a lot is different, but a lot is the same. I'm planning on going for homecoming, and taking my current boyfriend with me. I want to show him the quad, and where I lived, and ate, even though I hear it's all been remodeled.
That's college in a nutshell... but I have plenty more stories to share.
You spend some time in Walker when I lived there.
ReplyDelete-Erin
PS--Thanks for tweeting something about a blog post, causing me to read a month's worth of blogs when I should have been working. :)
You're right... I did spend some time in Walker when you lived there. My bad. Where I don't recall spending time (and what I was thinking about as I wrote this post) was Chatters. I think I went to Chatters ONCE after my Freshman year.
ReplyDelete