My mom told me last night that I'm well adjusted. I started to laugh at her, but then I thought, considering everything I've been through in life, maybe I didn't come out so bad?
My ish? There's a lot of it. My dad lost his guaranteed family business job when I was twelve, which strained my relationship with my paternal grandparents beyond repair. Their only attempts at a way to "make it better" were monetary gifts. The problem was, they always favored me over my sisters, which made me feel lousy. What else? I went through a junior high phase where I didn't do my homework. Ever. I wasn't a bad student, I just didn't do it. As a result, I was constantly grounded. I think I spent the better part of my junior high life, grounded. Talk about socially awkward.
I've been through breakups. Of course, each one is the worst thing that ever happened to me, ever. I've gained weight. I've lost weight. I've gained weight again. I've had friends and relatives die. I've lost friends, and made new friends. I've learned who to trust and who not.
It took me 10 years (on and off) to finish college. I work full-time.
I've been through my parents separation. That's been the most trying. I haven't spoken with a therapist, just my close friends.
To go through this stuff, and then some, and to come out the other side and have my mom say I'm well adjusted... yeah, I'll take that as a compliment.
No comments:
Post a Comment