Tuesday, July 31, 2012

the games

I saw someone post something on facebook within the last day or so regarding "the games," and now, thanks to Suzanne Collins, when we hear the games, we're not thinking the 2012 London Summer Games, but rather The Hunger Games.

I loved the Olympics as a child, and I still do.  I wanted to be a gymnast in the summer and a figure skater in the winter.  I remember distinctly pretending to be Katarina Witt in the winter of 1994, because of the amazing red lace costume she wore (the internet will find you anything):


Yes, I even chose Katarina of Kristi Yamaguchi and Nancy Kerrigan thanks to this outfit.

In the summer of '96 it was USA women's gymnastics or bust.  I remember wanting to know everything I possibly could about those seven girls.  Shannon Miller was my favorite, because her hair was curly like mine.

Today, I'll watch whatever I can see.  In 2014, I'll host an opening or closing ceremonies party and we'll eat around the world.  Yes, I will start compiling recipes now.



No comments:

Post a Comment