My Aunt Sally passed away two
years ago yesterday. She was a major
influence on my father’s life, and in turn, my own.
Sally moved in with my
grandparents when my dad was born, and lived with my grandparents until she
passed away, at the age of eighty-eight.
My father was fifty-five. She
raised my father, took him to concerts (Elvis!), taught him to save, and molded him (mostly) into the
person he is today.
She treated me as if I was
her granddaughter. She never married or
had children of her own. My father, was
her child. I, was her grandchild. She always had a word of wisdom for me, no
matter what the situation was.
When Sally was younger, she
worked as the executive assistant for some big wig hot shot downtown. She was the lifeline of the office. When I was little, I thought she never worked,
and just took care of my dad and his brother.
She worked. She worked really
hard. And lessons of hard work,
integrity, and self preservation were being passed to me from a very young age,
and I didn’t even realize it.
Sally paid for my first year
of college. In fact, I’m fairly certain
that Sally paid for all of my college.
I’m fairly certain that post mortem, she is STILL paying for my college.
Sally was always happy, even
when she was sick. She never let anyone
see her anything less than with a smile on her face. Through multiple bouts of cancer, and open
heart surgery, she always had color in her face and a smile.
The last time I saw Sally,
she was suffering from dementia. She had
trouble remembering things moments after they happened, and often thought she
was in a different time. She didn’t know
who I was, but knew my father, and regarded him as a teenager. When we moved Sally from the hospital to
Hospice care, we left her to go get dinner, with the intention of coming back
the next day. When we left, I taught her
how to fist bump.
The next day when we came
back, the first thing she wanted to do was fist bump me. After that, she had brief moments of lucidity, mostly though, her dementia was severe.
The weekend before she passed, my dad was at dinner with one of my sisters. He swore he heard someone calling his name. My sister didn't hear it. The next morning, he flew to Florida, and went straight to Sally's apartment. She was lucid, saw him, recognized him, and spoke with him. Then, she passed.
No comments:
Post a Comment