Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Stir Fry


My boyfriend has a perpetual taste for Asian flavors.  Chinese food.  Teppanyaki.  Thai.  Sushi.  You name it, he wants to eat it.  If we’re ever at a loss for what to eat or make, one of these things generally prevails.

So, in my attempt to get us both healthier in 2013 by cooking at home more, I made stir fry the other night.  I will apologize in advance for the fact that there are no pictures of my delicious meal.

Let me first say that this recipe is pretty universal.  You can use any type of protein (I would probably steer clear of fish though, it’s a bit too delicate for this application, but shrimp would work!) any type of vegetable(s) and any type of rice.  I knew I wanted a lean protein and fresh veggies, so I went to Caputo’s to see what looked good.

I decided on pork tenderloin, mushrooms, broccolini, and watercress.  I was cooking for two, but definitely bought enough to feed 4.  We had white rice at home, so I used that.  Brown rice would also be excellent.  I use a rice cooker for my rice – it’s pretty foolproof, just keep your instructions booklet which includes water::rice ratios.

Here are the measurements, like I said, will easily serve 4, or 2 with lunch for the next day:

Stir Fry:
1 pork tenderloin, sliced.
1 carton pre-sliced mushrooms.
2 bunches watercress, washed thoroughly, ends trimmed.
4 bunches broccolini, chopped into bite-sized pieces.

Sauce:
2 cups stock
½ cup soy sauce (I use light.)
1 cup warm water
½ cup water
1 T corn starch

Rice:  I used a rice-cooker to make 3 cups of cooked rice, according to the directions in the instructions booklet.

Chop all of your veg and meat into uniform size pieces.  I like bite-sized slices, so that all we need is chopsticks to eat with.  If you are using pork tenderloin like I did, be sure to remove the silver skin.

Next, prep what will become your sauce.  You can use any type of stock, depending on what protein you will be using.  In a large measuring cup or bowl, mix stock, soy sauce, and ½ cup water.  In a separate measuring cup, mix warm water and cornstarch to form a slurry.  Add to stock-soy mix, stir, and set aside.

Get a wok or sauté pan screaming hot and coat with canola oil.  I always sauté my veggies first.  Saute veg until just under your liking of done-ness (I like mine to have bite in them still, so this only takes a minute, remember, you’re going to add them back to the pan later.)  Remove, and set aside.

Re-oil the pan if necessary.  You want the meat to sizzle and sear, getting browned, not steamed, in the pan.  If you have too much meat for your pan, do this in batches to avoid steaming.  Once all of the meat is cooked, add the veg back to the pan, STIR your slurry-sauce mix, and also add to the pan.  Stir often, allowing the sauce to thicken.  When the sauce is thickened to your liking, remove from heat.

Serve with rice of your choosing.  I like to pour some extra sauce over my rice.  

The next time I make a stir fry, I'll be sure to take pictures!

1 comment: