So, I may
be Jewish (as can be seen by my love of latkes at Hanukkah), but, I’m
also Italian, and I have an unwavering, undying love of (most) Italian food. I don’t like ricotta cheese, so I don’t
really dig on things like cheese ravioli, manicotti, or lasagna. But… anything de pesce? Mussels? Clam sauce?
Aglio y Oglio? Meatballs? Eggplant
Parm? Alfredo? Carbonara? Count.Me.In.
So, last
night, Graham decided that he was going to stop by, and I hadn’t done anything
for dinner yet. I assessed the pantry
(which, is always stocked) and
decided on pasta with clam sauce (which comes together in about 30 minutes.)
You will
need (feeds 2 plus leftovers):
1 pound of
pasta (I used fettuccine rigate, but traditionally, my mom made this with
linguine. Any long pasta would work – I don’t
recommend short macaroni, cavatelli, or mostaccolli noodles.)
2 cans of
baby clams, drained (juice reserved)
2-3
carrots, grated
2-3 cloves
of garlic, crushed.
2-3
anchovies
½ cup dry
white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
2
tablespoons of butter
Several turns
of the pan of olive oil
First,
start your water boiling for the pasta.
This is what takes the longest.
Heat your
oil and butter in a large, heavy pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic and
carrots and sauté until soft and fragrant.
Add the anchovies and sauté (they will dissolve into the sauce, leaving
behind no ‘fishy’ flavor, I promise you!)
After the
anchovies have dissolved, add the clam juice and white wine, and reduce.
*If your water is not boiling at that point,
turn your sauce down to LOW.*
Cook the
pasta until just before al-dente. Just
before you take the pasta out, add the clams to the sauce. Drain pasta, add to the sauce, and toss,
letting the pasta finish cooking in the sauce. If it looks dry, add some of the pasta cooking water.
Sprinkle
with chopped Italian parsley for color.
Can be
served with an antipasto, bread, salad, you name it.
Mangia!
No comments:
Post a Comment