Thursday, January 10, 2013

resolutions


The idea of new years resolutions has never really sat well with me.  Resolving to do something different seems like a pretty lofty task, and in all honesty, unachievable.  Also, most people don’t follow through with their resolutions, and it becomes somewhat of a joke “hey, how’s that resolution going?”  You know.  I don’t want my goals to be the butt of a joke.

So, I’m not making resolutions this year, I’m making goals.  10 days into 2013, I have two for sure nailed down.

  • Be healthier.  That’s pretty vague?  Yeah, I know.  But it encompasses a lot.  In order to achieve my goal of being healthier, this is what I plan to do:
  • Rejoin Weight Watchers.  I still haven’t fully decided on this one, but I’m leaning toward it.
  • Work out 3-4 times per week.
  • Eat home-cooked meals more, and carry-out/delivery/dine-out less.
  • Drink more water.
In short, I want to look like this again:

This is me, New Years Eve 2010, and thirty pounds lighter.

Pass my series 6 and 63 exams by mid-year.  This is a professional goal, and one that I’ve been told is realistic.  Passing the 6 and 63 will not only make me a more knowledgeable employee, but a better asset to our team.

These are, luckily, goals that are track-able, and I have people in my life in place not only to support me through them, but to keep me accountable to my goals.

My next step, as Graham has asked me, is to write my 2013 vision statement, which I haven't decided if I will share.  This is something we usually do for work, which I've already done professionally, but Graham has asked me for a complete (personal, professional, financial) vision statement for 2013.

1 comment: