Tuesday, December 4, 2012

70* in Chicago in December =/= Christmas


It’s no secret that I still live with my mom.  I’m not ashamed.  I just do.  Hopefully, within the next 6-12 months, that will change.  But for now, I do.

I want a Christmas tree.  I want to decorate for Christmas.  Not because I am Christian, because I’m not, but because I find it festive and fun.  I’ve never had a Christmas tree.  I’ve never decorated a Christmas tree.  We’ve never had twinkling lights.  My mom did put a string of lights on the mantel this year, but let’s not get crazy!

When I have my own place, Christmas will throw up in it every year.  Christmas will be from the Friday after Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day.  There will be music and lights and a tree with gorgeous ornaments and a star on top.

I’ve been grinchy lately because the weather has been unseasonably warm.  No one else is complaining that yesterday, December 3, 2012, the registered temperature at O’Hare hit 70 degrees.  I want snowflakes and icicles (but NOT black ice, right, Chrissy?)

I started a list of things I want to do this Christmas season the other day.  Including:

  • See A Christmas Carol at the Goodman Theatre (a tradition of my Graham’s family – we are going this Saturday.)
  • Visit the Christkindlmart at Daley Plaza (my hope is to go Saturday after the matinee.)
  • See the Great Tree at the Walnut Room (but not eat there… the food suffers at this time of year.)
  • Decorate a Christmas tree*
  • Go ice skating
  • Be kissed under mistletoe*
  • Make Christmas cookies with my family (This will happen Sunday the 23rd.)


*These would be firsts.  No, I’m not kidding.

1 comment:

  1. No snow. No snow ever. Ever. ever. I've done 4 of these things already. Except that we never actually made it to the tree at the walnut room. But we were at Macy's. It counts. I am also not a fan of the Christkindlmart. It is crowded and scary full of people and hard to move. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete