Frankenstorm. It’s already done the worst, (I think?) and
now, it’s heading toward Chicago as a whole lot of wind, and probably rain.
All of the talk of
Frankenstorm has me thinking about Snowmageddon 2011 (or SnOMG as some called
it?) The one (I think there’s only been
one) blizzard I’ve lived through, so far.
We knew it was going to
snow. We knew it was going to snow a
lot. I went to work that day, and was
annoyed to find that no one in top management came in. They were all working from home. I didn’t have the option to work from home (I
still don’t.) Instead, I knew the snow was
coming, as did the others in our office, but we were still there.
A lot of places closed
that day, similar to most of NYC being shut down in preparation of Sandy. On the day the blizzard was set to hit, we
were open. Not a lot of other places
were. The office was quiet. We all complained about how long our commutes
home would be, that we were “stranded” with no management, how were we going to
know if we could go home? We spent a lot
of time looking out the windows, waiting for the snow to start, and looking at
the news, and weather.com, and talking to friends, to see where it had already
begun to snow.
We were finally ‘released’
from the office at 3pm that day, after the snow had begun to fall heavily. It took me two hours to get home, my normal
commute 45 minutes. I got home, and
there wasn’t much to do. I had dinner (I
think?) with my family, and was invited to escape to a friend’s house for the
evening, which I promptly declined, because, while it would’ve been much more
fun and entertaining, the six mile drive would’ve taken hours, and could’ve
been fatal.
So, I went to bed
early. I snuggled in with some hot chocolate. I thanked the lord that I don’t normally pray
to that we didn’t have a dog to walk.
The next morning, I woke
up and had some serious work to do. My
dad had stayed the night, and we started shoveling/plowing around 10am. It took several hours to clear everything
away, but it was fun to watch our neighbors with snowmobiles zipping up and
down the street.
Luckily, we didn’t lose
power, heat, or running water through this whole ordeal. I’m thinking of my friends on the East coast
who haven’t been so lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment